Saturday, October 2, 2010

MOUTABEL - The Famous Arabian Eggplant Dip!


Moutabel is a very famous eggplant dip which is cooked in so many versions from Lebanon to Armenia. Well, again this is MJ’s version  J
I add yogurt to my moutabel, so that the strong flavours are toned down a bit to suit my little one. She absolutely adores this dish. In fact, when I was pregnant there were times when I would eat moutabel for every meal. Lol, now I know the reason behind those crazy cravings!
Usually, the eggplants used are large purple black one because it tends to be less bitter and have more flesh. . I poke my French knife in and hold it on a high flame, turning sides till the skin’s charred and starts peeling off. But they can also be grilled along with garlic. Options are many, so the choice is yours. If you are grilling, follow from the 3rd step. Here’s my recipe....

Ingredients: (serves 6-7)

Egg plants - 2 large
Garlic - 6 to 7 cloves crushed
Tahina/tahini (white sesame seeds paste) - 3 tablespoons
Lime juice from 1 whole lemon
Yogurt - 1 cup
Feta cheese- 2 cubes
Olive Oil- 2 tablespoon
Salt to taste

Method:
1.       Poke knife into the eggplant and hold on high flame, turning sides till the skin’s charred and starts peeling off. Takes about 15 to 20mins for it to be fully cooked. Keep aside to cool.
2.       Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a vessel and cook garlic only till raw smell is off.
3.       Remove skin from eggplant, dice it and add to the garlic. Add salt and Mix well.
4.       Mash the mix using a masher or in your food processor. I like its texture a little coarse with a few pieces of eggplant to bite into.
5.       In a bowl blend yogurt, tahini and lime juice and feta cheese. Add mashed eggplant. Mix till uniform.
6.       Refrigerate for couple of hours.
7.       Garnish with olive oil just before serving.

13 comments:

  1. I love Moutabel! this looks so tasty, love the presentation :)

    Dimah
    http://orangeblossomwater.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of moutabel before. If we make it without the yoghurt, are all the other ingredients still the same? (We love strong flavours).
    Great presentation by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @JayP: Yea, everything else is same but u will have to adjust the quantity of tahini accordingly...also in the authentic version there is no feta cheese n thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like mutebbel, i recently cooked as well .. i loved your presentation.:)


    http://yesimstylekitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! Love the photo, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Armenian in me is very happy to see this. I love Moutabel. I've never put the feta or the yogurt in mine though and we puree it until very smooth. Yours is gorgeous and I love the photography.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Koci: thank you!
    @mom chef: Lol...m so happy to hear tat....yea I know in the authentic version those ingredients are not thr...but i do it reduce the strong flavour coz my baby likes it that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely wonderful dish, and so great that your little one enjoys. Love the add of yogurt :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't try it but it looks delicious! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never tried this dish- sounds exotic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sound so yum!! I like this version very much

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks healthy and delicious, with all my favorite flavors! Am bookmarking this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out to encourage me! Every comment is heartfully read and loved! Please stop by again and again and again.....!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...